I'm getting this (below) from mysql on solaris and something
disturbingly similar from php, which means I have done something stupid
or the time libraries are wrong.
I'm sure we can guess what is more likely, also below is the contents of
the timezone file which look correct.

mysql> SELECT UNIX_TIMESTAMP('1970-01-01');
+------------------------------+
| UNIX_TIMESTAMP('1970-01-01') |
+------------------------------+
|                        -3600 |
+------------------------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> SELECT FROM_UNIXTIME('-3600');
+------------------------+
| FROM_UNIXTIME('-3600') |
+------------------------+
| 1970-01-01 00:00:00    |
+------------------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

# @(#)init.dfl 1.2 92/11/26
#
# This file is /etc/default/init.  /etc/TIMEZONE is a symlink to this file.
# This file looks like a shell script, but it is not.  To maintain
# compatibility with old versions of /etc/TIMEZONE, some shell constructs
# (i.e., export commands) are allowed in this file, but are ignored.
#
# Lines of this file should be of the form VAR=value, where VAR is one of
# TZ, LANG, or any of the LC_* environment variables.
#
TZ=GB
LC_COLLATE=en_GB.ISO8859-15
LC_CTYPE=en_GB.ISO8859-15
LC_MESSAGES=C
LC_MONETARY=en_GB.ISO8859-15
LC_NUMERIC=en_GB.ISO8859-15
LC_TIME=en_GB.ISO8859-15

--
Tony Kennick
TechnoPhobia Limited.

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the addressee and are
intended solely for the recipients use. If you are not the addressee, you
have received this e-mail in error. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Any opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the author personally and
not TechnoPhobia Limited who do not accept responsibility for the contents
of the message.

All e-mail communications, in and out of TechnoPhobia, are recorded for
monitoring purposes.