On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 10:14:15AM +0000, Mark Fowler wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, someone or other wrote about:
> > recognising email addresses with a regex
> While a real regex, in the mathematical sense, cannot match arbitarly deep
> bracing (you need a push down automata for that,) there's nothing regular
> about Perl's regex engine.  There's no reason you shouldn't be able to
> match a valid email with a Perl regex at all, though I freely admit I've
> got better (well, more pressing) things to do that try and write one.

OK, I'm missing something, can you post an example that matches
arbitrarily deep bracketing in a single perl RE (and only matches if the
bracketing is valid, ie. every open has a close and vice versa). I'm not
interested in the content, but in the form. I can't see how to do it, and
I think i's a useful piece of knowledge for the list.

--
Lusercop.net - LARTing Lusers everywhere since 2002