Shevek wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Newton, Philip wrote:
>
> > As in our lovely firewall which doesn't allow *any* outside
> > access except by proxy (which basically reduces it to HTTP
> > and HTTPS).
>
> Can you cheat via an https proxy?

Well, since you can't proxy HTTPS, you can, kind of -- once you tell the
proxy "CONNECT remote.host 443", it'll pass through data transparently and
is presumably none the wiser whether that data is actually HTTP-over-SSL or
AIM or eDonkey2K or whatever.

However, it only allows CONNECT to a remote port of 443.

(Which is why I'm looking for someone nice who'll run an sshd on port 443
that he'll let me use. Then I could run an ssh proxy on localhost that on
accepting a connection sends the appropriate CONNECT header to the
firewall/proxy and then just passes remaining data on transparently, and
then connect to localhost:2222 --> firewall:8080 --> remotehost:443 -->
sshd. But that's another story.)

Not sure if that's what you meant by cheating. (I *did* try "CONNECT
remote.host 22", and a couple of other ports... not recently, granted, but I
doubt they've become more lenient since then.)

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
All opinions are my own, not my employer's.