On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 04:10:20PM +0000, Shevek wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Newton, Philip wrote:
> > As in our lovely firewall which doesn't allow *any* outside access except by
> > proxy (which basically reduces it to HTTP and HTTPS).
> Can you cheat via an https proxy?

https proxy?  yay for man-in-the-middle fun!

http tunnel might be more useful.  I used to operate one end of such a tunnel
for one of the fine gents in this august forum, and could set it up again.
It works just fine through http proxies.  The usual way of working is to run
ssh through the http tunnel, and then whatever the hell you want through ssh.
Of course, it's *not* fool-proof, as the large number of HTTP POSTs coming
from your workstation will be, errm, noteworthy, to your local security wookie.

--
Lord Protector David Cantrell     |     http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

  When a woman has a man on a string, controlling his every thought
  and motion, backbone in said man is not a requirement.
      -- Ken, in alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove