Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:12:35 +0100
From: Brigitte Jellinek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Nicholas Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: your talk at DPW comparing PHP with perl

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 12:32:22PM +0000, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> There's a thread developing on the london.pm list about how to make and
> distribute applications in perl, and questions are being asked about
> how PHP does it.
I've tried to answer Simons message below, feel free to
forward it.

> I can't remember what they were offhand. I also remember that
> you gave a URL for a site, but I wrote that down on my conference abstract
> book, which is at home. I've not found the site using google - could you
> remind me of the URL?
the only URLs I remember giving are
http://www.php.net       <-- general php site
http://perlwelt.horus.at/   <-- my perl stuff
http://phpwelt.horus.at/perl/   <-- sample programs from the talk

============
> > Rightly or wrongly, I suspect the reason why people like the php* family
> > if web apps are popular is because all you have to do is untar the
> > distributions, chmod a+rx and away you go.

you don't even need the chmod.  *.php files don't need execute
permissions to be interpreted by mod_php.

> Agreed. Does php have the same central-local installation pattern that
> perl does ? I suspect that all php code is installed locally to the
> user/website that's using it, whereas perl has a root-only central
> installation location for most modules.

that's one of the reasons why installing php apps is so simple.
my understanding is:

in php there is a clear seperation of
a) extentions to the php engine - only these are written in c
b) php applications - written in pure php, no c at all

ad a)  Extentions are installed and configured centrally,
and available as binaries.  they can only be installed
by person running the webserver.  php comes with a long
list of extentions, so there isn't much need for
installing them later on.

ad b)  There are practically *no* libraries written in php that
are installed centrally so that they can be used by
several applications.  They are trying to set up PEAR,
an imitation of CPAN, http://pear.php.net/
but all the successfull applications
out there don't use it (yet).

so installing an applications never concerns anything outside
it own directory.  no make, no c-compiler, no perl^H^H^H^Hphp
header files, no modules needed.

--
Brigitte        'I never met a chocolate I didnt like'        Jellinek
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                         http://www.horus.com/~bjelli/

----- End forwarded message -----