ad b) There are practically *no* libraries written in php that
are installed centrally so that they can be used by
several applications. They are trying to set up PEAR, an imitation of CPAN, http://pear.php.net/ but all the successfull applications out there don't use it (yet).

So why not use the power that is in the central installation and encourage server owners to install a large number of CPAN modules on
their server with maybe regular updates.

While if I understand the plan is that the standard Perl distribution will have less modules maybe it should actually go in the
other direction. Maybe we should have a Perl distribtion that has
a large number of CPAN modules installed by default.

Gabor