Going back to the original question:
1) Get at my email using my mobile phone as the modem..... I guess Bluetooth is the best way of doing this.
2) Read Word and Excel docs that people keep sending me.... grrrr!!
3) Read PDF docs
4) Usual calendar type stuff.
5) Games for those boring train journeys :)

I'm pretty pleased with my Palm Tungsten.

1) I don't do email on it myself, but it has the bluetooth built
in (which I use for SMS and phonebook - I'm planning on bluetooth websurfing when my ADSL is fixed)

2, 3, 4) Word, Excel, PDF, calendar all sorted.  Quite nicely on
a 320x320 colour screen.

Dunno aboout games.

But for me, you missed the most important criteria. It's *small*.

Fits-comfortably-in-your-shirt-pocket-small

similar-volume-to-my-phone-small

Small is the new Large.

Andrew