On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 05:37:23AM -0800, Toby|Wintrmute wrote:
> Ello,
>
> I need to setup a message board / forum thing, and I want something that runs
> on Perl/DBI(::Pg) or Perl/Pg .. (or just a simple dirs+textfiles backend)
>
> Freshmeat has 187 projects listed:
> http://freshmeat.net/browse/95/?topic_id=95
>
> Most seem to MySQL based, or else don't specify what they use as a backend at
> all. There are an awful lot of them, and it's hard to tell what's good or not
> without trying them out.. and i don't want to spend weeks before choosing one.
>
> I just wondered if anyone here has some reccommendations?
>
> Would prefer Perl, but PHP system would be fine too.

To not answer the question, Practical Internet Groupware by O'Reilly is an
interesting read on general concepts like this, if a little dated now.

I would also go along with a NNTP server being my choice, but this can cause
problems (one of the chief ones being Outlook (not express) doesn't support
NNTP).

A final point, I've found the faq-o-matic to be a very useful work resource,
if you can get everyone using it.

JP