On Wed, 2003-04-02 at 10:16, Dave Cross wrote:
> From: Dirk Koopman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 4/2/03 9:07:11 AM
>
> > What MTA?
>
> It's sendmail.
>
> > Did you reboot the machine?
>
> No. Not yet. I should probably try restarting sendmail first.
>
> > Bear in mind that most MTAs fork to handle some of the
> > process, if any of the libraries that is currently using
> > have disappeared (they have been erased and replacements
> > with different inode nos added), then forks will fail.
> >
> > I have done more or less exactly what you did, rebooted,
> > it just works. Mind you I run exim with rpms that I
> > maintain.
>
> I made some progress this morning.
>
> "mailq" revealed all 200-odd emails still waiting in the queue
> and "sendmail -q" sent them all on their merry way.

Which simply confirms my conjecture. New (independant) process, uses new
glibc, works.

> Just need to work out why sendmail isn't automatically sending
> them at the moment.

service sendmail restart

But, it would be simpler and better to reboot the machine. You have just
replaced the most fundamental library in the system. In order to get the
benefits of any changes for *all* programs - you must reboot.

Dirk
--
Please Note: Some Quantum Physics Theories Suggest That When the
Consumer Is Not Directly Observing This Product, It May Cease to