Jon Reades wrote:
To be a little nit-picky, I think that there are a number of people in Africa on tediously slow (14,4 or less) dial-up connections who might object to being told that they "don't count for much". The last time I was in Africa (late 2001) most of the hardware was at least six years old and the software wasn't much more recent since it was all Western hand-me-downs and no one is going to download Mozilla over a 14,4 or 28,8 connection.

Not that you necessarily *need* to worry about users in Africa, but it always comes back to the basic rule of good design -- know your audience and design accordingly.

Yes, but in fact it is much easier to target moz/ie5+ and degrade gracefully to old platforms than it is to do the same if you need to support nn4. So long as you don't rely on JavaScript for your site to work, properly structured (X)HTML will be perfectly readable on older stuff *and* it'll burn much less bandwidth.

--
Robin Berjon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Research Engineer, Expway        http://expway.fr/