Title: RE: use warnings and 5.005

>> Warnings are things that tell you when you did something you
>> shouldn't.

>No, that's wrong, and apparently the central point of your
>misconception. Warnings are things that tell you when you *might* have
>done something wrong. That's why they're called 'warnings' and not
>'errors'.

Philosophically, I'd like to agree with you, but it doesn't scale.
Each time I see a warning, I have to figure out whether or not I
can safely ignore it, to discover which side of that *might* of
yours I'm on.  I only want to do that once, and flag that warning
as OK thereafter.  One way to do that is to avoid causing a
warning in the first place.

The trouble with just leaving the warning there is that as the
number of warnings grows, it becomes increasingly difficult to
distinguish new warnings that ought to be investigated from the
ignorable output.  How do you make the distinction, and how do
you automate it?

Philip

---

Disclaimer

This communication together with any attachments transmitted with it ('this E-mail') is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information which is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this E-mail is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient you are notified that any use of this E-mail is prohibited. Addressees should ensure this E-mail is checked for viruses. The Carphone Warehouse Group PLC makes no representations as regards the absence of viruses in this E-mail. If you have received this E-mail in error please notify our ISe Response Team immediately by telephone on + 44 (0)20 8896 5828 or via E-mail at [EMAIL PROTECTED] Please then immediately destroy this E-mail and any copies of it.

Please feel free to visit our website:

UK
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com

Group