* Mark Fowler ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [030612 11:41]:
> This got me thinking.  Is it better to try and add features to existing
> modules (and/or distributions) or better to come up with independent
> subclasses released by other people?

What is the reason to create packages in the first place?  To group
related code.  But what is "related"?

Both choices have their advantages and disadvantages.

 * integrate code of different sources into one package file:
    - package file becomes larger (too large?)
    - coding style inconsistencies
    - new code which is hardly ever used?  Why bother all users?
    - module grows larger, so harder to maintain (by a single person)
    + integration of documentation
    + integration of examples
    + integration of tests
    + fast load (parser opens only one file), but larger minimal footprint

 * integration of new package in existing module:
    as above, but no grow package file
    - is functionality still logically split over the packages?
    - who is the maintainer/releaser of the code and module?
    + easy to implement

 * released as separate module
    - code version compatibility problems
    - tests, examples and documentation which cover both related modules
      harder to write and maintain (version problems as well)
    - module dependencies harder to understand for users during use
      and installation
    - maintainers have to coordinate releases
    + smaller modules, so smaller 'mimimal installations' and easier to
      maintain.
    + clear division between maintainers

I have not the feeling that all possible arguments are included.
Nearly all of them are subjective values, which depend on experience,
mood, time of day and level of frustration at the decisive moment.

Do you see that there are many negative comments on adding code in
any way?  Probably better not to release any code   ;-b
--
               MarkOv       %-]

drs Mark A.C.J. Overmeer                                MARKOV Solutions
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]