Quoting Andy Wardley ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> Paul Makepeace wrote:
> > I'm wondering if the modem is rejected the MAC of the linux box while
> > the Windows's box's lease is still in effect or something bizarre like
> > that.
>
> Yes.  Or the DHCP server at the ISP.
>
> With NTL I had to switch off the cable modem for a few hours until the
> DHCP lease expired.  Then all was good.

[ this if for Telenet, a Belgian cable modem ISP ]

With Telenet I even noticed that I can't get an IP adress for the
same MAC addres when booting linux (dual boot).

  - boot machine windows 2000: gets IP address via DHCP
  - reboot machine to Linux  : DHCP does not give IP address
  - reboot machine to Windows: gets IP address

Waiting the DHCP expiry time solves the problem (as did adding a
FW/router machine :) ).

Kris,