On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Paul Makepeace wrote:

> Ha`s anyone used a Telewest modem and had problems having it play nicely
> with Linux?

Yes and No. My Smoothwall runs just fine.

> I'm wondering if the modem is rejected the MAC of the linux box while
> the Windows's box's lease is still in effect or something bizarre like
> that.
>
> Anyone got a clue here?

You're pretty much correct. I've found that switching the modem off, then
swapping the machine and powering up with the new nic in place does the
trick.

Their hinder^Whelp pages suggest releasing the dhcp lease before doing
that but I've never found it necessary. 'ipconfig /release' on a win2k
box.

You know that you can register MACs directly via the webshite ?

Check with the working machine and have a look at
http://selfcare.blueyonder.co.uk/PInfranetServlet?page=p_list_mac_addrs&loadBean=yes

You'll need the username and password that they sent you when you signed
up. It's *much* quicker than talking to the helldesk !

Simon.

--
"Oh no, not again."