On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Dominic Mitchell wrote:

> Fortune saves the day with essential facts such as:
>
> 1.79 x 10^12 furlongs per fortnight -- it's not just a good idea, it's
> the law!
>
> If it comes to obscure units, I always had a great fondness for the
> nanocentury:
>
> %% (fortunes)
>          How many seconds are there in a year?  If I tell you there  are
> 3.155  x  10^7, you won't even try to remember it.  On the other hand,
> who could forget that, to within half a percent, pi seconds is a
> nanocentury.
>                  -- Tom Duff, Bell Labs

I prefer metric units, especially ones that are easy to convert to
imperial ones.  Like the attoparsec.  Which is fairly similar to an inch.

If you're measuring speeds, you obviously need a time unit to go with your
length, I propose wider adoption of the millifortnight - about 20 minutes.

the hatter