On 02/07/2003 at 14:48 +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:
On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 02:52:53PM +0100, Paul Mison wrote:
Of course, the US has to give their coins cutesy names, just to

LOL. You'll have to try harder than that.

Shilling, bob, pony, monkey, quid, godiva, ton, large one, ..

The US has nothing on the UK here.

None of which would be found on the Royal Mint page, whereas dimes, nickels and quarters are official names (they're on the Treasury page I linked to in the previous email).

As I said, we used to have nearly-official names (thrupenny bit) but we don't any more; a twenty pence piece is only known as, well, a twenty pence piece. Sure, there's lots of slang, but that's different.

--
:: paul
:: compiles with canadian cs1471 protocol