On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 03:17:07PM +0100, Iain Tatch wrote:
> Pick up a handful of Merkin change and you get things that say "Nickel",
> "Dime", "Quarter" with no other clue as to their monetary value. For those

"Quarter Dollar". Pretty obvious. The dime only says dime and I can't
remember nickel.

> of us not brought up in the USA, even if you're aware that one's 5c and
> the other 10c, there's no obvious way to get from the names nickel and
> dime to their monetary values.

"Hi, can you tell me what these coins are worth?"

What is your point? That the US currency is failing somehow because it
doesn't explicitly put its cents value on its coinage?

I'm sure there's a million other vastly more complex culturally specific
things you'd have to learn on arrival to any new country. Compared to
learning a new language or dialect of a language criticizing a currency
for the extra load of having to learn the value of two coins seems to me
laughable.

Imagine an employer reading this thread - "this guy seems to struggle
learning; not only finding the information out, but committing that
trivial amount to memory". :-)

Paul

--
Paul Makepeace ....................................... http://paulm.com/

"What is a little trim? North by north west."
   -- http://paulm.com/toys/surrealism/