On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Colin Magee wrote:

> As a Perl beginner who has realised I need to set up a database, I have to
> add that I immediately went for MySQL due to all the attention it seems to
> have, and bought a few books to get me started.  The whole thing - using
> installing etc etc looks hellish complicated AND I haven't even been able to
> install it.

What Linux distro are you running?

Pretty much all of them offer binary packages of MySQL so you should be
able to use rpm or apt-get to install it.

>  All I can see is where the files are installed in my copy of
> Linux.  So it looks as if you already have to know what you're doing in
> order to use it which is useless for a beginner and teh antithesis it seems
> to me of what Perl is all about - because you don't already have to know
> what you're doing to get started/ use it.

I disagree. Installing MySQL is very simple. Using it with perl is as
simple as:

perldoc DBI

read and learn.

The same is true for PostgreSQL.

Jason Clifford
--
UKFSN.ORG               Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/           ADSL Broadband available now