On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Colin Magee wrote:

> >What Linux distro are you running?
>
> SuSE 8.1.  As I say, I can see the files installed in usr/bin, as root, but
> when I try running it I get all sorts of error messages:
> 1.    "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock".  Try checking mysqld is running and that the
> socket exists"
> 2.    When I try to run mysqld independently, or add it to my .bashrc it
> doesn't work either.

That's not what you need to do.

First check that you have the mysql server package installed:

rpm -qa | grep mysql

will give you a list of all of the mysql packages installed. Like many
others SuSE provide several packages and the server may not have been
installed by default.

Once you have the server package installed make sure it is started at
boot:

chkconfig --add [package]
chkconfig --level [level] [package] on

Where [package] is the name of the server package and level is the
runlevel you start your system at.

> 3.    Even if the above did work, I understand there are a number of other
> setup and admin tasks with MySQL.  ie. you need to run mysql_install_db, set
> permissions, passwords and so forth.

The rpm will initialist MySQL for you. The frist task will to set the root
password as by default there isn't one.

> The database is only for my use, so (1 + 2 + 3) = not straightforward in my
> book.

That's why the rpm does it for you.

As I said previously PostgreSQL is pretty much the same.

Jason Clifford
--
UKFSN.ORG               Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/           ADSL Broadband available now