Simon Wilcox wrote:
The government claims that an entitlement/identity card will cut down on
benefit fraud. This is one of their biggest "selling" points. It would be
interesting to compare the level of benefit fraud between countries with
and without id cards.

For instance, does France suffer a significantly lower instance of benefit fraud than the UK and if so, is this solely attributable to the existence of ID cards or are there other procedural explanations ?

I have no data on this point, but France does have a fairly notable level of fraud (though people normally get caught if they do it for a few years). Unless benefit fraud in the UK is enormously high, then I doubt it'll make much difference.

--
Robin Berjon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Research Engineer, Expway        http://expway.fr/