On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 10:56, Paul Makepeace wrote;

  PM> He in fact died while in a coma following slipping on ice earlier
  PM> this year: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2957343.stm

OK technically you're correct.  BUT he *almost* died a year earlier:

  http://stacks.msnbc.com/news/901829.asp?0si=-&cp1=1

Sorry, chinese whispers I guess.

  PM> The more I read about lipid and carb metabolism the more I'm
  PM> coming around to idea that diets high in trashy carbs (white
  PM> bread, pasta, sugar, fructose, etc.) are more responsible for
  PM> the increasingly fat & obese populations of the UK & US.

Fructose is actually quite good.  It isn't converted to glucose very
quickly.  Look up a chart with the `glycaemic index' or `glycaemic
load' values of food for more concrete ways of telling which foods are
good and which are bad on that scale.  Interestingly, the glycaemic
indices of most vegetables has not been measured, because you would
have to consume too many of them to get 50g of carbohydrate content in
your system to be measurable in your blood :-).  That's 16 cups of
broccoli!

eg:
     Item           Glycaemic load
   1 cup macaroni       3,328
   1 cup raisins       10,192
   1 cup chickpeas      2,162
   1 cup soy beans        520
   1 peach                280
   1 `medium' orange      630
   1 cup orange juice   1,716
   1 `medium' banana    2,528
   1 cup broccoli        <100
   1 teaspoon fructose     99
   1 teaspoon sucrose     372
   1 regular coke       3,510

Apparently the rule of thumb is to aim for less than 3,000 total
glycaemic load for any one meal.  Glycaemic load is a term he may have
coined - but it is essentially the size of the serving (presumably in
grammes of net carbohydrates) multiplied by the glycaemic load.

  PM> There's More Than One Type of Fat, too. As you say, essential
  PM> fatty acids are quite a different beast from transfats, etc
  PM> (e.g. in margarine - why do people even consider eating this
  PM> shit? Ignorance? Don't care about themselves? Laziness? Habit?)

Partial Hydrogenation, the process which produces trans fatty acids,
is used to help preserve the food.  These fats are very, very bad for
you.

Getting the right fats, thereby controlling the delicate hormonal
systems that drive your cells is the author's main emphasis of one of
his books I have read; his book has a summary description of lipids
(ie, what omega 3/6 means, different omega 3/6 fatty acids & their
effects on your cellular chemistry, what they get converted to under
what situations, by which metabolic pathways, etc).  Saturated fats
(including animal fats - advocated strongly by the Atkins diet) are
the worst, monounsaturated are the ones you can consume the most
quantity of (as they have no hormonal impact), and polyunsaturated
fats should be balanced between omega 3's & 6's.  Longer chain omega
3's - eg DHA (22:6), EPA (20:5) are much better than shorter ones like
ALA (18:3) or Steradonic Acid (18:4).

Anyway, it's interesting stuff.  He has several books; a recipe book
(the meals are exquisite), a book on the benefits of fish oils, a book
applying his research to vegetarians, and loads more.
--
Sam Vilain, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ambition is the curse of the political class.
 - anon.