On 1 Sep 2003 at 15:26, Jason Clifford wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, David Cantrell wrote:
>
> > I don't do the uncompression on the fly, but do people think it's
> > reasonable for me to have bzipped files on my site?  Obviously, people
> > using sane systems can deal with them, but I have no idea whether those
> > stuck in the Microsoftian Dark Ages can.  In fact, can they easily deal
> > with gzips?
>
> gzip is not a problem for modern clients as all browsers support it.

So this is not a problem for browser-ish content such as HTML.

However, if you offer files for download that are gzipped, then you may
run into either of the following problems:

(a) the browser ungzips them during the download but doesn't strip the
.gz suffix, leading to confusion
(b) the browser doesn't ungzip them and the user cannot do so
themselves.

WinZip can handle .gz and is probably widely available (I'll wager it's
one of the most common non-registered shareware programs) but you can't
really rely on it.

> I don't think that is the case with bzip though.

Ditto. I haven't heard of a browser that can handle bzip2 (though I
imagine Mozilla can do it if built with -DKITCHEN_SINK), and most
windows users will not have bunzip2 on their systems.

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>