Shevek wrote:
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, David Cantrell wrote:
Paul Makepeace wrote:
WTF is that?! If I saw this in a forest I'd shoot it first, assuming it
was more likely going to kill me than not.
Something which makes perfect sense when read in conjunction with the documentation. What, exactly, do you find difficult about it?
The very fact that one has to resort to the documentation to discover that
this is just an assbackwards way of doing something perfectly simple. That
in itself quite clearly increases effort for the maintainer, in
contradiction of your earlier mail.

As I already explained, I am using a particular module for reasons which I have documented. I assume that the maintainer has RTFM. I assume that they have read the documentation of any dependencies with which they are not familiar. Where the dependencies are unusual (as in this case) I have made a point of highlighting them in the docs. Therefore they will understand what is happening there. They will understand both what that line does, and why I wrote it.

Or do you believe that documentation exists for the sake of documentation and for no useful purpose?

Do not be afraid of cooking, as your ingredients will know and misbehave
   -- Fergus Henderson