On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 06:32:00PM +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> Je 2003-09-20 16:34:26 +0100, Lusercop skribis:
> > Esperanto -- equally unreadable whatever native language you speak.
>
> If you have a smattering of latin, french, english, spanish, russian,
> italian, polish, hebrew, czech, and an understanding of oriental grammar,
> it's all really quite straightforward :-) But seriously though, there's
> an indo-european bias so you do have a minor advantage.
>
> http://russcon.place.org/esperanto/links.html is a great place to start
> for anyone interested.

Esperanto may be easy to learn, but surely a language with a proper UI
design wouldn't need to be learnt at all ("walk up and use").  Perl's
"make the easy things easy" philosophy goes some way in this direction.
alternatively, if the IETF could be tricked into issuing an RFC for
Esperanto, then i'm sure Lusercop would be fluent in no time.

i like the slightly sinister sound of "Perl Manipulistoj".

i don't like the prospect of more messing about with fonts before i can
see e.g. c with a ^ when i'm using terminal mode (i realize that the
point is to have a different letter for each phoneme).  i guess none of
the ISO-8859-? encodings cover all the characters Esperanto uses?

> "If you try to stop me, then rivulets of pure pleasure will swim down my
>  spine!"

i wouldn't dream of trying to stop you.

--
Phil Lanch                    0xD78D598DA6635CF32AB24593C98994B7D95B33E3
                                   http://www.subtle.clara.net/rephrase/

"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."