Peter Corlett ab...@cabal.org.uk wrote
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 10:55:11AM +0000, ian.doche...@nomura.com wrote:
> [...]
> > We don't expect people to have all these skills, but mostly what we have
> > seen are people with some of, basic Perl OO, CGI or DBI at best.
>
> I suspect this is very much a case of getting what you pay for.

I work with quite a few Indian Perl programmers (mostly from Tata). Whilst
rates for programmers in India are usually lower than in London, my impression
is you get roughly the same distribution of good and bad programmers as you do
in London. A lot of the Indian middle class get a good education in an english
speaking school.

Part of India's problem seems to be to be it's become a victim of it's own
outsourcing success - and there is an IT skill's shortage there (as well). From
my point of view, this is good news as it means London rates are less likely to
be watered down by excess capacity.

Something to be careful of is: we have lost a number of Indian juniors who have
got themselves trained up and then moved on to better paid things.

Chris