Quoting "David H. Adler" <d...@panix.com>:

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 05:29:29PM +0000, Dave Cross wrote:
At the LPW on Saturday I'm giving a talk entitled "25 Years of Perl".

I have the structure of the talk, and I have worked out most of the
things that I want to cover. But I wanted to make sure that I didn't
miss anything important.

So I thought I'd turn to the london.pm hivemind. What parts of
Perl's history do you think are important. I'm particularly
interested in two areas.

1/ Technical

What CPAN modules deserve to be mentioned as part of Perl's history?
Which Perl infrastructure projects are (or were) important? Are
there any other technical things that need to be covered?

You're going to cover the Acme:: namespace, of course? [insert evil grin
here]

Yes. There's a couple of posts on Perl Monks that nicely trace the beginning of Leon's namespace :)

2/ Community

What community initiatives should I cover? Can I mention TPI without
giving some people nightmares? How much detail can I cover about
Perl Mongers? Which conferences deserve a mention? Does anyone
remember how and when YAS became TPF?

If memory serves, YAS didn't "become" TPF. They were separate entities,
as was Perl Mongers. At a certain point, Kevin decided he didn't want to
run YAS anymore and brian decided not to run Perl Mongers anymore (they
both had other stuff that was taking up their time). As a result, they
were both absorbed into TPF. Wikipedia says PM became part of TPF in
2000, but that feels too early to me. You should probably check further
for a real date. brian might know.

Yeah, I'd think more like 2002. I'll check with Kevin and/or brian.

Although it only goes up to 2002, the Perl Timeline (Elaine's work, iirc) at
http://history.perl.org would probably be of some use to you. A lot of
links there, too, including Jon Orwant's interview with Perl.com about
the demise of TPI (sadly, not including his statement "He was from the
planet Blobnar"). In other news, the entire first page of google results
for "blobnar orwant" is the result of my sigfile.

Elaine's history page is being a *big* help.

More seriously, though, I think TPI is probably worth including, but I
wouldn't dwell on it.

I don't think anyone would like to dwell on it :)

As far as detail on PM, what are you thinking of including. Unless
you're referencing something from a non-public list, I can't imagine
there's much that would be a problem.

I'm pretty much sorted with Perl Mongers. I was involved with most of that.

Cheers,

Dave...