On 05/14/2013 12:09 AM, Richard Foley wrote:
I had a contract role in Switzerland where the client was happy for me to come
on board in a (largely) remote capacity. That meant some on-site work to
familiarize me with the team and the project and then shift off-site for the
majority of the work. This suited both parties.

The agency stepped in, (they'd been "unavailable" during the telephone
interview), and said there was no way I was going to work remotely for this
client, and scotched the deal. Both the client and the contractor were screwed,
and this had nothing to do with the practicalities of remote working, or
problem solving of any kind. This was simply a power broking intervention.

how did the agent scotch it? what motivation did they have (other than no ethics and lots of stupidity)?

it may sound sappy but i am very happy when i place a perl hacker and all three parties (candidate, client and me) win. it does happen quite a bit IMO. my first placement was a grad student in germany and he moved to nyc for this job and he still has it 8 years later. that makes me happy. :)

and i can't scotch things as i like c_ognac better!

uri

_