Hi Tony,

> I am assuming that there is no link layer flow control.  I can’t recall
> working on a system that supports X.25 since about 1995, so I don’t think
> that’s a common use case today.

I was more thinking along the lines of leveraging IEEE 802.3x or 802.1Qbb
standard not necessarily suggest fancy X.25 or Frame Relay :)

 Henk proposed that we simply pick up TCP for this, but my concern with
> that is really about introducing a whole new dependency to the protocol.
> That’s a lot to chew.  Do we really need it all? I hope not.  Thus, Bruno’s
> original suggestion sparked my interest in doing something dynamic and
> simple.

The second part of the question was really about at what layer it makes
most sense to provide this control loop.

Options seems to be:

* Invent new or use existing link layer flow control (IEEE)
* Reuse existing transport layer (TCP)
* App layer (QUIC or QUIC like)

I guess it would be useful to up front list on what type of media this must
be supported as it may change the game drastically:

* directly connected fiber p2p
* p2mp (via switch)
* p2p over encapsulation
etc...