From: Tony Li <tony1ath...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2020 9:32 AM
To: Les Ginsberg (ginsberg) <ginsb...@cisco.com>
Cc: Acee Lindem (acee) <a...@cisco.com>; Bruno Decraene
<bruno.decra...@orange.com>; lsr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Lsr] draft-ietf-lsr-isis-area-proxy-02

Les,

 There then remains the question as to whether the “Area Prefix” is anycast or
unicast i.e., is it common to all IERs or is it unique to whomever gets elected
Area Leader?

Does it matter? We have no clear semantics for this prefix. A difference that
makes no difference is no difference.

[Les:] This question needs to be directed at those who prefer the Area Prefix
approach. It matters as it impacts configuration and advertisement semantics.
An anycast prefix is NOT a Node Prefix.
And it impacts how traffic is forwarded into the area.

How so?  Traffic will be directed to the SID value (modulo PHP).
[Les3:] If the prefix is private to a single router then traffic has to pass
through that router. If it is anycast the traffic could arrive at any one of
the routers supporting the anycast address.

I must be missing something. My understanding of SR is that you forward based
on the label.  Please educate me.

Tony