On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 09:42:57AM +0800, Aijun Wang wrote:

[ ... ]

|    Option 3: The “DOWN” detection on ABR is same as PUA/PULSE, the different
|    is how to propagate such “DOWN” information. Considering we have observed
|    that all P/PE router in other areas may be interested such information,
|    your proposal will require every P/PE router run BGP-LS, which is not the
|    aimed deploy scenarios for BGP-LS.

HG> BGP-LS has been conceived to solve the very problem of providing visibility
of other
area's link state. I fail to see what is out of scope here.

|    Then, if IGP has such capabilities, why bother BGP? What is the benefit?

HG> simply put: seperation of concerns. Agreed consensus is to mostly use the
IGP for topology discovery and put the bulk of carrying reachability information
into BGP which gives us:

1) flow-control capabilities (=by virtue of TCP) and
2) furthermore operators can scale and isolate the distribution vehicle for a
given AFI/SAFI service
   using a dedicated RR infrastructure which does not mess with your bread and
butter service
   infra.

IMO it is not a good idea to put (negative) reachability information back into
the IGP as you
would loose this "seperation of concerns" aspect and potentially de-stabilize
your topology discovery
tool and hence *all* your bread-and-butter services.

HTH,

/hannes