From: Lsr <lsr-boun...@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Aijun Wang
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2022 9:05 AM
To: Les Ginsberg (ginsberg) <ginsberg=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org>
Cc: lsr@ietf.org; Linda Dunbar <linda.dun...@futurewei.com>
Subject: Re: [Lsr] Seeking feedback to the revised
draft-dunbar-lsr-5g-edge-compute

Hi, Les:
Aijun Wang
China Telecom

On Jan 10, 2022, at 23:48, Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)
<ginsberg=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org<mailto:ginsberg=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org>>
 wrote:

Linda –

I believe the most valuable feedback you received during your presentation at
IETF 112 is that using IGPs likely will not meet the deployment requirements.
In particular, persistence of a given client session with a given application
server is likely a requirement which will not be achieved using an IGP based
solution.
[WAJ] The main aim of draft is to how assist the router to select the most
appropriate application servers, with regards to the metrics that is not
limited to the link cost.

Also, the modification of IGP metrics will likely introduce unwanted
oscillation in traffic flows.

[WAJ] These metrics are associated with the links that doesn’t participate in
the IGP, that is, they are the characteristics of the “Stub-Link”, then only
the application that utilize such information will be influenced, or optimized.

I suggest you start with a clean slate – focus on defining what all the
requirements are without regard to what mechanism/protocol might be used – and
then think about defining a solution which meets these requirements.
I think you will end up NOT using routing protocols at all

[WAJ] Selecting the most appropriate/optimized application server should base
on the topology information which is routing protocol related.

On a more mundane note, the section describing the new IS-IS advertisement
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-dunbar-lsr-5g-edge-compute-03#section-6
 ) is – to put it bluntly – a mess! 😊
TLVs 128 and 130 are legacy TLVs which don’t support sub-TLVs – they should not
be mentioned at all.
And the encoding diagram shows a “prefix” being advertised in the new sub-TLV
when it should not. The prefix has already been advertised in the parent TLV.

[WAJ] Actually, the most appropriate place to convey such information is via
the Stub-Link TLV/Sub-TLV that defined in
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-wang-lsr-stub-link-attributes-02

   Les