I support this draft, as one of the authors, as well as a BFD user, and hope
it becomes a standard.

This draft addresses an issue that we have encountered in our production
network, hence we have been actively working with our vendors.

Most people deploy BFD with OSPF (or any routing protocols) to enable fast
failure detection. This is to ensure that routing/forwarding path is diverted
as soon as a connectivity issue is detected.

OSPF BFD strict mode ensures this, in that it requires that the BFD session to
be established before OSPF adjacency will be allowed to be established, thus
ensuring that routing/forwarding will not use the path without a working BFD
adjacency.

Without this standard, as per most current default OSPF BFD deployment, OSPF
adjacency is established without BFD. OSPF adjacency then triggers the BFD
session to be established. If a "break-in-middle" issue occurred (where last
mile interface status remains up) before BFD session comes up, we would lose
the fast failure detection capability. This situation will require lengthy OSPF
protocol timeout to detect such failure, resulting in traffic being
black-holed for extended period.

We have a large network consisting of several thousand links throughout the
world, and have seen this issue several times that had impacted production
traffic negatively.

As mentioned in a previous email, we have successfully tested this feature on
the Juniper MX (JUNOS 19.4) and also Cisco ASR9k (XR 7.3.2) platforms.

Thanks
Albert Fu
Bloomberg