I support WG Adoption of this draft.

This is a real world problem that has existed with BFD that operators have
to deal with where OSPF adjacency comes up before BFD session establishes
resulting in cases where the link may have L1 issues or maybe a dirty link
or poor link quality resulting in BFD session establishment followed by BFD
immediately taking down the link.  With BFD tight timers with client
protocol registered ends up further exacerbating the issue with link flaps
resulting in IGP instability.

This draft mirrors the ISIS block solution in RFC 6213   ISIS BFD enabled
TLV.

This issue exists with BGP as well where the protocol registered with BFD
bootstrapped per RFC 5882 comes up before BFD resulting in instability.  I
believe this gap still exists for BGP.

When BFD comes up it performs link integrity test before session
establishment to detect dirty errored link does not come Up.

RFC 5880 BFD 3-way session establishment and  does the link integrity and
 quality test by sending the BFD control packets to validate bi-directional
forwarding liveliness detection over any media.

The case mentioned in this draft where the link is dirty, MTU issues or
forwarding plane issues exist that cause BFD not to establish resulting in
the use of default protocol timers and slow convergence is a major issue
for operators being solved with this draft as well as mentioned above where
BFD does come up after the IGP is just as bad if not worse if the link is a
dirty errored link resulting in flapping link.

The main point here as I mentioned is that BFD must validate the link
integrity before routing protocol comes Up, so that routing protocol does
not come Up on a dirty errored link, so the blocking of the adjacency
capabilities solution here nicely solves the issue.

In this thread it has been mentioned maybe a CLI timer knob as far as
implementation for delay knob makes sense.

I would like to note that one workaround used by operators is using RFC
7130 BFD over bundle member called “BOB” or per link BFD,  and in that case
control protocol is in fact blocked and BFD comes up first.  This is a
workaround used putting even individual single links in a bundle to present
the issue from happening.

I would like to note that RFC 5882 Generic Application of BFD does state
that if all neighbors support BFD then the registered control protocol
being bootstrapped should be blocked from coming up until BFD session is
established.  Only in case where all neighbors on a LAN do not have BFD
enabled, blocking the control protocol from coming Up would prevent the
control protocol from coming Up on neighbors that don’t have BFD enabled.

So the way I read it implementations following BFD RFC 5882 should have
been blocking OSPF or ISIS  protocol from coming Up before BFD comes up w/o
having to require a specification for the explicit block.  Apparently most
all vendors implementations did not follow RFC 5882 it appears with this
regard and thus now the requirement for operators for this important
draft.  I think this implementation discrepancy happened due to normative
language SHOULD Block and not MUST Block is the problem.

RFC 5882 excerpt below:

4.1 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc5882#section-4.1>.
Adjacency Establishment

   If the session state on either the local or remote system (if known)
   is AdminDown, BFD has been administratively disabled, and the
   establishment of a control protocol adjacency MUST be allowed.

   BFD sessions are typically bootstrapped by the control protocol,
   using the mechanism (discovery, configuration) used by the control
   protocol to find neighbors.  Note that it is possible in some failure
   scenarios for the network to be in a state such that the control
   protocol is capable of coming up, but the BFD session cannot be
   established, and, more particularly, data cannot be forwarded.  To
   avoid this situation, it would be beneficial not to allow the control
   protocol to establish a neighbor adjacency.  However, this would
   preclude the operation of the control protocol in an environment in
   which not all systems support BFD.

   Therefore, the establishment of control protocol adjacencies SHOULD
   be blocked if both systems are willing to establish a BFD session but
   a BFD session cannot be established.  One method for determining that
   both systems are willing to establish a BFD session is if the control
   protocol carries explicit signaling of this fact.  If there is no
   explicit signaling, the willingness to establish a BFD session may be
   determined by means outside the scope of this specification.

   If it is believed that the neighboring system does not support BFD,
   the establishment of a control protocol adjacency SHOULD NOT be
   blocked.

Few comments on the draft below:

Bottom of Introduction

   This document specifies the OSPF protocol extensions using link-local
   signaling (LLS) [RFC5613
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc5613>] for a router to
indicate to its neighbor
   the willingness to establish its adjacency using the strict-mode for
   BFD.  It also introduces an extension for OSPFv3 link-local signaling
   of the interface IPv4 address when used for an IPv4 address-family
   (AF) instance to enable discovery of the IPv4 addresses for BFD
   session setup.

Gyan> Could you also introduce extension for IPV6 AF for discovery of
IPv6 address?

Section 3 Local Interface IPv4 address TLV

Gyan> Should we also have a LLS Data block B bit section for Local
Interface IPv6 address TLV

Section 4 Procedure

      In this state, a Hello packet has recently been received from the
      neighbor.  However, bidirectional communication has not yet been
      established with the neighbor (i.e., the router itself did not
      appear in the neighbor's Hello packet).  BFD session establishment
      with the neighbor is requested, if not already completed (e.g., in
      the event of transition from 2-way state).  Neighbors in Init
      state or higher will be listed in the Hello packets associated
      with the interface if they either have a corresponding BFD session
      established or have not advertised strict-mode for BFD in the
      Hello packet LLS Extended Options and Flags.

Gyan> What do you mean by “ e.g., in the event of transition from 2-way state)

I would think OSPF is blocked and so then after BFD is established then
OSPF initialized but this sounds like OSPF maybe in two way state when BFD
establishes which means OSPF is not blocked from forming adjacency.
Confusing.

So this would be a LAN mix mode where not all nodes have BFD enabled maybe
want to mention to make it clear.

   An implementation MUST NOT wait for BFD session establishment in Init
   state unless strict-mode for BFD is enabled on the router and the
   specific neighbor indicates strict-mode for BFD capability via its
   Hello LLS options.  When BFD is enabled, but the strict-mode for
   operation has not be signaled by both neighbors, then an
   implementation SHOULD start the BFD session establishment only in
   2-Way state or higher state.  This makes it possible for an OSPF
   router to support BFD operation in both strict-mode and normal mode
   across different interfaces or even different neighbors on the same
   multi-access interface.

Gyan> So in the LAN case RFC 5882 OSPF should not be blocked with LLS
data block.

So I think that is what you are trying to say that BFD can come up
after OSPF is Up

I see you mention 2-way but not fully Up.  How would you stagger it
allow BFD to come up

in parallel to ospf still coming to Full state.

Nit

OLD

   When BFD is enabled on an interface over which we already have an
   existing OSPF adjacency, it would result in the router setting the
   B-bit in its subsequent Hello packets.  If the adjacency is already
   up (i.e., in its terminal state of Full or 2-way with non-DR routers
   on a multi-access interface) with a neighbor that also supports
   strict-mode for BFD, then an implementation SHOULD NOT bring this

Gyan> 2-way is not terminal state even for DROther routers

NEW

   When BFD is enabled on an interface over which we already have an
   existing OSPF adjacency, it would result in the router setting the
   B-bit in its subsequent Hello packets.  If the adjacency is already
   up (i.e., in its terminal state of Full/DR Full/BDR or Full/DROther routers
   on a multi-access interface) with a neighbor that also supports
   strict-mode for BFD, then an implementation SHOULD NOT bring this

Section 4.1 OSPFv3 IPv4 address family specifics

Gyan> Why would you not have also OSPFV3 IPv6 address family specifics

Kind Regards

Gyan

<http://www.verizon.com/>

*Gyan Mishra*