From: Lsr <lsr-boun...@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Robert Raszuk
Sent: Sunday, February 6, 2022 3:31 PM
To: Les Ginsberg (ginsberg) <ginsb...@cisco.com>
Cc: lsr <lsr@ietf.org>; Christian Hopps <cho...@chopps.org>
Subject: Re: [Lsr] Working Group Last Call for "OSPF Strict-Mode for BFD" -
draft-ietf-lsr-ospf-bfd-strict-mode-04

Les,

Please kindly present the facts.

The facts are that equivalent functionality in OSPF which has been approved for
years uses a configurable timer which allows both - to wait for BFD as well to
make sure that BFD stays UP till that timer expires. The point I even started
this discussion was about your threat that this timer will be removed once this
draft goes to RFC.

So today without this timer when the interface goes UP both OSPF and BFD go in
parallel and OSPF can win. That is bad as BFD when it comes UP and shortly goes
down causes routing churn and packet drops. Note that can happen in the vast
majority of cases when either links have problems with unicast (possible but
pretty rare) or when BFD came up some time (say 100 ms) after OSPF brought adj.
UP and then BFD declared failure during Echo packet exchange.

So how does the situation above change with this draft ...

When the interface goes UP OSPF will not bring adj UP till BFD comes UP. But
then we are back in square one as OSPF adj comes UP and BFD after a full cycle
of testing brings it back down. So what have we accomplished with this
draft/RFC - nothing.

In both cases you have to be pretty unlucky to get a link failure either
between OSPF adj UP and BFD full cycle of Echo packets. But the entire purpose
of this draft is to address that very unfortunate sequence of events.

We all seem to agree we need to wait a bit longer. We have whatsoever no
agreement across WGs who should take it on it's shoulder. Should this be BFD to
delay UP notification to the client, should this be the client to take UP but
only move on if no DOWN was seen within a timer or maybe this should be
middlemen like RIB which is likely acting as a postman here.

I still believe all of this should be at least reflected in the draft even if
the conclusion is to leave it up to implementation choice.

IMO refusing to even mention this is equal to proceeding with architecturally
broken specification.

Cheers,
Robert.

On Mon, Feb 7, 2022 at 12:14 AM Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)