From: Robert Raszuk <rob...@raszuk.net>
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2022 12:25 AM
To: Shraddha Hegde <shrad...@juniper.net>
Cc: Les Ginsberg (ginsberg) <ginsb...@cisco.com>; lsr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Lsr] New Version Notification for
draft-ginsberg-lsr-rfc8919bis-01.txt

Hello,

Yes I very much support Shraddha's msg.

The term "application" should not even be (re)defined up front, but completely
removed from the document. Likewise ASLA should be renamed too. I thought we
had the agreement in subsequent documents to do so. Why not fix it across the
board ?

If we look at the dictionary:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/application

I do not see any definition which would even closely fit the real use case for
this term here. Application is a computer program not a network
forwarding/protection mechanism like RSVP-TE, SRv6, LFA etc ...

If someone who is writing real applications - say ticker forwarder - and he
takes such RFC she or he will be super confused and will start expecting his
application to have its own bit to be identified directly in the ASLA bit mask.

Thx,
R.

On Wed, Jul 13, 2022 at 7:52 AM Shraddha Hegde
<shraddha=40juniper....@dmarc.ietf.org<mailto:40juniper....@dmarc.ietf.org>>
wrote:
Authors,

Thanks for the bis version of RFC 8919 and the clarifying text on errata.
The issues raised with respect to the errata have been addressed well in the
bis version.
However, I believe that the bis version is also an opportunity for us to
address any other ambiguities and clarifications and not just restrict it to
the raised errata. RFC 8919 is going to serve as base document for many
future applications /attributes and a clear definition and documentation
is necessary for interoperable implementations as well as for future
evolution of the protocol.

I have below comments on the document

1. The definition of what constitutes an application in the scope of this
document is not
    clearly defined in the document. Currently RSVP,SR-TE, LFA, Flex-algo have
been defined
        so it appears that any application that uses TE attributes can be
defined as a separate application.
        The TE mechanisms like RSVP, SR-TE and flex-algo have been defined as
separate applications
        and it appears features having significantly different
        forwarding plane is defined as new application. It is not clear if SRv6
would be
        qualified as a new application.
        LFA for different forwarding planes such as IP, MPLS, SRv6 are not
separate applications
        but LFA is defined as a single application.
        I have also seen many drafts confusing application specific to be user
application.
        I  suggest to add a section and describe what is an application clearly
in the draft that should provide
        sufficient input on what can be defined as an application from ASLA
context in future.

2. "   When SABM or UDABM Length is non-zero and the L-flag is NOT set, all
   applications specified in the bit mask MUST use the link attribute
   advertisements in the sub-TLV."
   Applications such as RSVP, SR-TE, LFA already use legacy advertisements.
   This document suggests that if any attribute is advertised with an
application bit set in ASLA
   ASLA advertisements MUST be used by that application.
   Implementations may support ASLA for only some applications.
   I suggest to add below text.

   Until all nodes upgraded to support ASLA for a particular application,
different values of link attributes
   MUST NOT be advertised for that application in legacy advertisement and ASLA
advertisements.

Rgds
Shraddha

Juniper Business Use Only