From: Lsr <lsr-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of John Scudder
<jgs=40juniper....@dmarc.ietf.org>
Sent: 06 September 2022 22:04

> On Sep 6, 2022, at 5:00 PM, Acee Lindem (acee) <a...@cisco.com> wrote:
>
>    I guess if we do decide to either abandon the reorganization suggestion
> altogether, or to pursue it as a separate draft, then
> draft-ietf-lsr-ospf-l2bundles should just stick to its existing approach of
> listing restrictions in their own subsections of the main spec, do you agree?
> Recall that we got here (in part) because it seemed strange to me to update
> the registry to list some restrictions, but not all of them.
>
> [ACEE] This would be my choice except I wouldn't add the "L2 Member Bundle
> Attributes" restriction to the IANA registry unless we do it for all the
> Sub-TLVs as you suggest.

We agree; that was what I meant. All or nothing, either do the whole
reorganization (or whatever you want to call it) or back out the 05 change to
the IANA section and just roll with what was in 04 and earlier. Halfway doesn’t
make a lot of sense to me.

<tp>
All; you have to do it sometime, better sooner than later.

I see a close parallel with MPLS which got itself into a tangle, attempts to
clarify were rebuffed until eventually the problems were just too great and the
work was done.

Look at the TLVs registry in the IANA Multiprotocol Label Switching
Architecture (MPLS) Group.  I think that you need a strong reason not to adopt
a similar approach (if only for users who use MPLS as well as OSPF).  No need
for ten columns, just a structured approach.

It took a lot of detailed review to get it right - Loa knows that well - but I
believe that the effort was worth it.

Tom Petch

—John