Hi there Christian,

Thank you very much for your comments there.

Perhaps I'm not using precisely terminology, but I've configured an L1
router to be part of multiple IS-IS areas at once.

I'll quote from a 2005 book to show you this topology:
https://www.networkfuntimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Multi-area-ISIS-router-Pt1-768x407.jpg

If the following configuration is added to the bottom-left router, then
both the 49.0001 and 49.0003 adjacencies come up. The result is, I was led
to believe, a single L1 topology that contains two IS-IS areas.
https://www.networkfuntimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Multi-area-ISIS-router-Pt2.jpg

I think this counts as one router being in two areas at once - but if I'm
not using precise language, or if I'm misunderstood you, then please
forgive me.

All the best
Chris