Zhibo –

[Zhibo:] draft-wang-lsr-prefix-unreachable-annoucement doesn`t use “Router ID =
0” to implement backward compatibility. It only provides two options:
capability negotiation and MAX metric. When capability negotiation changes,
there is no requirement to update the MAX metric value. It can be retained.

[LES:] Indeed. What you are saying is that max-metric is sufficient.

Which means there is no need for “Router ID == 0”.

Which also means there is no need for advertising the new Router Capability.

Which means that the solution defined in draft-ppsenak is all that is needed –
there is no need for any of the protocol extensions defined in draft-wang.

Which means there is no need for draft-wang..

> Both two draft used The 0xFE000000 metric indicates that the prefix is not

> reachable. Doesn't make a difference at this point.

[LES:] The solution defined in draft-ppsenak-lsr-igp-unreach-prefix-announce
does not introduce any interoperability issues with existing routers, does not
require multiple encoding formats, and does not require a router to regenerate
advertisements in a different form based on the state of support by all routers
in the network.

I think this makes a big difference. 😊

[Zhibo:] The same applies to draft-wang-lsr-prefix-unreachable-annoucement,
which is not the main difference between the two documents.

[LES:] This is hardly true.

Draft-wang does introduce interoperability issue w legacy routers – which is
why you had to introduce the new Router Capability advertisement.

Draft-wang does define multiple encoding formats.

Draft-wang does require routers to generate the unreachable advertisement in a
format based upon the current state of support for PUAM in the network (read
your own text in Section 5).

   Les

Thanks

Zhibo