Tony,

Questions are inserted below:

Linda

From: Tony Li <tony1ath...@gmail.com> On Behalf Of Tony Li
Sent: Friday, December 1, 2023 2:21 PM
To: Linda Dunbar <linda.dun...@futurewei.com>
Cc: Yingzhen Qu <yingzhen.i...@gmail.com>;
draft-pkaneria-lsr-multi-...@ietf.org; lsr <lsr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Lsr] WG Adoption Call - draft-pkaneria-lsr-multi-tlv (11/17/2023
- 12/09/2023)

Hi Linda,

I have the following concerns about the approach proposed by  this draft:

  *   Suppose the information to be carried by the  Extended IS Reachability
(type 22) (in Example 4.1) is larger than 255. Does it mean the recipient will
receive 2 TLVs (both with the Type 22) in one LSA? For legacy routers, the
second TLV (Type =22) might overwrite  the first TLV.

Yes, a legacy implementation may well have bugs. The proposal is to fix that:
expect MP-TLVs.

[Linda] Are you saying only the legacy implementation with bugs will be
confused with two TLVs with the same Type  in in one LSA?

  *   Isn’t it more straightforward to have a new TYPE value for carrying the
extra information beyond the 255 bytes? So, the legacy routers can ignore the
TLVs with the unrecognized types.

You could do that, but code points are not free.  We certainly cannot afford
another code point for each existing code point.  Using just one code point is
less than helpful: it forces us to aggregate information that has no business
being aggregated. Ignoring information is a non-starter because it makes
partial deployments fatal: some of the domain operates with some information
and some of the domain operates with different information.
[Linda] Why not consider having just one additional TYPE code with sub-types to
indicate which original TLVs the value should be appended to?

This would not be an improvement.

Tony