Hi Acee,

Please check inline below for responses.

On Thu, May 23, 2024 at 1:58 AM Acee Lindem <acee.lin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ketan,
>
> First of all, the have been early allocations for over almost 2 years now
> and it isn’t very timely to object at the end of WG last call. However, I
> think your concerns can easily be satisfied.
>

KT> It is only at WGLC that the authors have indicated that the draft is
"complete" and therefore the WGLC seems the time for me to object that it
isn't complete? I agree that my concerns can be easily satisfied with
additional text - I've shared the suggestions for the same as well.

> On May 21, 2024, at 12:18, Ketan Talaulikar <ketant.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Acee,
>
> You seem to have misunderstood my concern. I am not asking for
> specification of the RSVP-TE CSPF algorithm/computation using Generic
> Metric.
>
> Let me clarify my objections. There are 3 ways in which Generic Metric can
> be advertised for OSPFv2 as stated in this draft:
>
> 1) As a sub-TLV of the ASLA sub-TLV in the OSPFv2 Extended Link LSA : For
> FlexAlgo usage this is the one and only one way to advertise Generic Metric
> in OSPFv2 (note there is no L-bit in OSPF for ASLA). RFC 9492 (ASLA) allows
> for this to be used for other applications beyond FlexAlgo. I would like
> this draft to clarify if it is defining Generic Metric use for any
> application other than FlexAlgo under ASLA - see further in my email.
>
> 2) As a top-level sub-TLV of the OSPFv2 Extended Link TLV in the OSPFv2
> Extended Link LSA : This document is making allocation in this namespace
> but that is not an issue since the namespace is shared with ASLA. However,
> the draft needs to clarify that it is not defining Generic Metric use for
> any application when advertised this way as it is not used in base OSPF
> route calculation.
>

> So, basically 1 and 2 are the same and equates to “Generic metric usage
> for applications other than flex algorithm is out of scope. Future
> documents may describe usage.”
>

KT> Sure, that was the "easy" option that I had initially suggested.
However, Shraddha mentioned that she is aware of ongoing/existing
implementations and that is why I am instead suggesting that we add some
text to cover those other applications. I don't think it should be very
difficult to incorporate.

> 3) As a sub-TLV of the Link TLV in the OSPFv2 TE Opaque LSA : This
> document is making an allocation in this namespace but not indicating any
> application usage. If the intention is to use this advertisement for
> RSVP-TE CSPF, then there is no issue since this is allowed per RFC 9492
> Section 12.3.4. However, the draft must explicitly state that this is the
> only way to use it for RSVP-TE application.
>

> I’m looking at RFC 9492 Section 12.1 - why couldn’t the generic metric be
> used for the other referenced applications - LFA and SR policy if usage is
> described in a future document? Similar to above.
>

KT> For SR Policy, it is certainly possible. For LFA, I am not sure at this
point other than within FlexAlgo. I would rather prefer that we add small
sections in the current draft that cover RSVP-TE and SR Policy at least (as
suggested). I can provide the text if the authors are OK with this proposal.

Thanks,
Ketan

> [...]
>>> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.iana.org/go/rfc9492__;!!NEt6yMaO-gk!CCtWq3oQk0cXbjdWmHoJomutLcmgPIHyX5LjNSahUulgW61QgLgqXr_Kj74WrmzBmvkbwwnzm_SiyvT7cfK2pA$>
>>> ]
>>>
>>> 13
>>>
>>> Min/Max Unidirectional Link Delay

>>> [RFC9492
>>> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.iana.org/go/rfc9492__;!!NEt6yMaO-gk!CCtWq3oQk0cXbjdWmHoJomutLcmgPIHyX5LjNSahUulgW61QgLgqXr_Kj74WrmzBmvkbwwnzm_SiyvT7cfK2pA$>
>>> ]
>>>

>>> <SH3> Ok I got it. Will fix in -12 version
>>>

>>> 7) Regarding
>>> https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-lsr-flex-algo-bw-con-08.html#section-6
>>> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-lsr-flex-algo-bw-con-08.html*section-6__;Iw!!NEt6yMaO-gk!DwOojW2YZ48IROz9qMyyh7uKj3rYC-09avEhFQtcPkvxJ5mKF5Cyy6qSVvDJ89s9DmAUVwsT_pgfmumnzxX7UA$>,
>>> it seems like we want to retain a numbering ordering of rules/sequence for
>>> flex-algo as extension documents are introduced. Am I correct? If so, then
>>> this document should formally "update" RFC9350 since it is changing the
>>> "set of rules/sequence" for FlexAlgo computations. Further such extensions
>>> will also need to keep updating the base spec similarly. I would suggest
>>> that a full set of rules that is a union of what is in RFC9350 and rules
>>> added by this draft are maintained in an Appendix section. Other documents
>>> in the future can similarly maintain the latest set of rules.
>>>
>>> <SH> This draft is adding 2 new rules at the end of existing rules. Its
>>> not modifying or changing the order.
>>>
>>> I don’t see what value it is going to add by repeating the set of rules
>>> in Appendix.

>>> happens when some FlexAlgo document wants to insert rules in the middle of
>>> existing ones instead of appending at the end? My point is that if there is
>>> a desire to establish a "live" set of rules in specific orders, then we
>>> need to leave a trail of document "updates" on the base FlexAlgo that one
>>> can refer to know how these "live set of rules" are getting "updated" by
>>> this and future documents. I am thinking of this on lines similar to an
>>> update for an FSM.
>>>
>>> <SH2> It’s a matter of choice. For ex RFC 8029
>>>
>>>             Has so many updates to the Rules but each update only lists
>>> the changes.
>>>

>>> KT2> I am not sure I follow and it would help if you can perhaps give an
>>> example.
>>>

>>>            I am fine with whatever WG decides to do.
>>>
>>>             I want to hear if anyone in WG has an opinion on adding
>>> Appendix.
>>>

>>> KT2> Sure. My point is that this seems like an ordered set of rules that
>>> are being updated by multiple documents (more to come). How does one keep
>>> track of the "current" set of rules without some trail or each new(er)
>>> document capturing the "latest" set?
>>>
>>> <SH3> I don’t see any other opinions on mailing list. Will add appendix

>>> 4 octet boundary as is the convention in OSPF -

>>> Acee