Well, you cannot design protocols around broken platforms since the spec needs
to hold up for 20 years, the platforms are fixed daily.

Is the leap second etc. dramatic`? Today definitely NOT but who knows where the
stuff goes including satellites in the future ;-)

I read the comment on the “just use epoch and burn the bytes” though I’m not
too happy about it practically speaking. There are some customers that are
squeaking last bytes out the encoding today, sometimes during complex
migrations caused by redistributions and given more and more “garbage trucking”
to paraphrase the other Tony the bytes are precious.

However, if majority of folks feels that way, we could sway to 5 bytes
timestamp (need to do the math on rollover first) and some better resolution on
msecs and precision, probably a byte each which puts us at roughly 5msec
resolution which is far beyond what practically will matter ever I think

— Tony