On Fri, Jul 26, 2024 at 06:18:00PM +0000, Antoni Przygienda wrote:
> Well, you cannot design protocols around broken platforms since the
> spec needs to hold up for 20 years, the platforms are fixed daily.

We do design protocols to operate in a given environment though, and
IS-IS doesn't require a synchronized clock at all, just a roughly
syntonized one.  If we were to add such a requirement, I'd be raising
serious concerns at this point.  For a debugging aid, I don't care, I'm
just pointing out what current reality looks like.

I'll also point out that if a router acquires its clock primarily from
NTP, it has no way of getting at the TAI-UTC offset from there.  NTP
only carries differential leap seconds signalling, i.e. +1/-1 "as it
happens".  It would need to consume a tzdb leap-seconds file from
somewhere else, which if the stack doesn't implement PTP, it might not
even have an option for.

-equi