Bruno –

Thanx for the concerns.

Let’s dig deeper into the concerns about “interoperability”.
I will use IS Neighbors advertisements in this discussion – but conceptually
the discussion applies to all codepoints – though obviously the specifics are
different in each case.

It is important to note that this draft has not introduced any modification to
the encoding of any existing TLV. The format and the set of sub-TLVs associated
with a given codepoint are defined in the respective RFCs for each codepoint
and are not altered by this draft.

In the case of IS-Neighbor, the correct identification of keys is already
required for two reasons:

1)It determines the identity of the link/neighbor being advertised
2)It is necessary in order to correctly do two-way connectivity checking

Independent of multi-TLV, implementations MUST correctly process the keys or
operation of the network is compromised.

The interoperability issues associated with multi-tlv do not arise because
existing specifications are ambiguous as to what constitutes a key.
Interoperability issues result from some implementations treating two TLVs with
matching keys in different ways:

Historically two TLVs with the same key have been treated as replacements for
each other i.e., one TLV is treated as “stale” and one TLV is treated as the
“current”.
With multi-TLV, two TLVs with the same key are treated as complementary i.e.,
the information in both TLVs is treated as current.

If all routers in the network don’t apply the same interpretation to multiple
TLVs with the same key, then we have (obvious) interoperability issues.
This is what is discussed in the draft and is the proper subject of the draft.

Keys for each TLV are defined in the respective RFCs that define each codepoint.
Repeating that information in this draft is at best redundant – at worst
unintentionally conflicting – and clearly does not scale (we have hundreds of
codepoints to which multi-TLV can be applied).

This is why we made the decision not to specify/discuss the “key” for every TLV
– but focused on the conceptual use of the key in support of multi-TLV.

   Les