On 2 Nov 2006, at 12:28, Narayan Desai wrote:

"Paul" == Paul Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Out of curiosity, does the LCFG server know anything about the
revision control system, or is the change management
functionality handled entirely externally?

  Paul> It is external. I think it is possible to write conditionals
  Paul> which depend on the release version, but that doesn't seem
  Paul> like a good idea.  Of course, the individual aspects (headers)
  Paul> are version controlled separately, so it is possible to pull
  Paul> back a particular aspect if you screw something up, but the
  Paul> important thing here is to create a stable, labeled
  Paul> configuration point for the whole site.

We found that if you actually built some logic into the server, you
could use revision data as a proxy for an independent time variable,
and write logic that consumes and modifies the repo based on it. (This
is the topic of our paper this year) I am pretty sure that it is
necessary for the server to actually have some notion about the
revision data...

I think I'll need to read the paper :-)

Can you give a simple example?

  Paul