As one who DID go down the road of experimenting with custom boot ROMS (I
didn't even try to burn them myself, I got disklessworkstations.com to do it
for me), I want to echo Dereks thoughts...

www.disklessworkstations.com provides some excellent products, and even more
excellent service.  The cards Derek mentioned specifically are name brand
Linksys cards (good brand, never had any trouble with over 100 of them), and
they test them, and even label the card itself (on the EDGE, where you can
see it from OUTSIDE the case) with the MAC address.

WELL worth the 5-10 extra bucks you are paying for the card over and above
what you might be able to find it for at your local byte-shop (after the
cost of the boot ROM).

And I am in no way compensated for this 'endorsement', either.

One more big reason to buy from them - by doing so, you are supporting them
in their efforts at making LTSP the 'killer app' for Linux.

'Nuff said...

Charles Marcus
Satisfied disklessworkstations customer