Hi Brady,

I managed to get this to work using esd and mpg123/gqmpeg.

Once I confirmed that the sound modules were loading into the workstation
kernel I copied esd and it's required libraries from the server to the
ltsroot/sbin ~/lib etc directories then added code to start esd into
rc.local.

SOUND=`get_cfg SOUND`
if [ "${SOUND}" = "Y" ]; then
  echo "Running Sound Server..."
  /bin/esd -nobeeps -tcp -as 2 -public -port 5001 &
fi

Once this was running on the workstation I then logged in via Gdm/X
and set ESPEAKER thus

   ESPEAKER=`echo $DISPLAY | sed 's/:.*/:5001/'`
   export ESPEAKER

and then I simply ran gqmpeg, volia sound on the workstation speakers.

Unfortunately not many apps are ESPEAKER aware and esddsp only works
for some apps.

HTH

Pete