We are using LTS 2.07 since May with StarOffice working quite well in a not
too big environment.

Nowadays we have 20 terminals connected to a server where we spent a bit of
money...

We decided to buy a two processor server (2 x Intel 700 MHz and 512 Mb RAM),
and it is running really good even when all the terminals are executing
StarOffice.

Our work is based in text (HTML) processing, and we have experienced some
trouble with some features of StarOffice, probably due to the really big
amount of resources that this application needs when working, for instance,
with the syntax corrector enabled while writing, converting MS Word Files to
HTML or working with big spread sheet files.

The same server deals with e-mail, has an apache server to handle some of the
operations of our small intranet, a mysql server, and lots of other
applications running at the same time...

By the way, we are using version 5.2 of StarOffice...

The experience with StarOffice has been globally really good, overall since
it has been the really mean of migrating to linux to our users, that were
used to work with Windows. This has been a good mean of moving them witout
the need of having to learn a new framework.

In my opinion, the key question working with this environment is in allways
having in mind that StarOffice is a really big "resources-eater", and
according to that, preparing the system to save as much as possible:
- As StarOffice has its own way of dealing with files and folders there is no
need to load a Desktop environment like KDE or GNOME
- As windows users are used to work with applications maximized and
StarOffice has its own system to deal with inner windows, there's no need to
use a window manager
- As StarOffice has its own web browser and e-mail, they don't need no other
application.
- We don't need any kind of multimedia support for video or sound, so we just
don't have it at all.
- And, overall, as StarOffice doesn't have a SystemTray or Pannel, our users
doesn't overfill it with tones of applications that run the server out of
memory...

In other words: the combination LTS + StarOffice has really made my work as
administrator much, much easier, and comparing to Windows, most of them
congratulate and believe that the change has been worth (no more blue
screens, no more system halts, no more trouble dealing with ascii and binary
mode, ...)

Hope this helps...

Victor Gil
LEGGIO, S.L.