Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 16:52:06 -0700
From: "Ken Godee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Ltsp-discuss] Use of Native Linux Apps vs Windows Apps

Our plan to convert our offices completely over to linux
takes a little different stance.
Our sales department will start completely set up with
LTSP thin clients. Our office/admin is a little harder
to plan the switch over. We started with what appears
to be where everyone starts, using a windows
virtual program of some sort. win4lin / wine / etc.
All those programs we tested seemed to be either a pain
or far to expensive for our lic. needs.
We decided to go the other way around by running remote exec
of linux apps on the windows machines. This has several
advantages....
Software ranges from  free to cheap to reasonable
Icons/linux programs appear right on end users normal windows
desktop allowing them to run linux apps without them even
knowing there not running windows apps. Performance is great.
Allows us to put one program at a time into effect. Lowering
enduser training and "stress" also allowing
us to take the time we need to get each app programmed and
running properly without being under the gun to make the big
switch over.
Once we get the majority of the programs switched over, then
windows machines will be swapped for thin clients and end users
will only need to figure out how to log in, once logged in the
programs they all ready know how to use will be waiting for
them.
Anyway just a different view ("Linux on Windows") from everybody
talking about doing it "Windows on Linux".

Ken G.

--
    Glenn Jacobson, President             (419) 861-3340 Fax
      Unique Systems, Inc.            Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]