Could you please provide the loadlin option? Thanks

*** This option has the advantage that you need not format a hard drive
and can easily implement it on an existing Wind$ze machine. However, this
option doesn't work with all Network Cards (works fine with 3com, doesn't
work with a Compaq Nic). Wind$ze loads "hidden" device drivers that
interferes with some cards. Ok here's the details:

Start off compiling a custom kernel for booting just as you would normally
(ie: auto kernel configuration: dhcp, ramdisk, NFS root mounted over NFS,
etc) EXCEPT do not tag it with mknbi-linux (compile a bzImage only). Place
a copy of that image on your hard drive (on the Wind$ze machine) as well
as loadlin in a directory (say \boot).

Then in c:\config.sys you have something like this:

[MENU]
        menuitem LINUX, Linux boot
        menuitem WINDOZE, Windows 98

[LINUX]

[WINDOZE]

[COMMON]

Then in c:\autoexec.bat do this:

goto %config%

:LINUX
\boot\loadlin \boot\bzimage root=/dev/nfs ip=dhcp

:WINDOZE
win

That's it. Reboot the machine and you should be presented with a menu
(Linux boot, Windows 98). Remember it may not work with all network cards
-> good luck :)

>>> John F Cuzzola <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 11/14/01 9:34:25 PM >>>

> Hi John,
> this sounds good. Can you give me more Informations please??
>
> Thanks, Peter

*** hmmm, well you didn't specify which method (lilo or loadlin) so I'll
try to explain both. (LILO now , loadlin in the next email). Before I
continue, keep in mind the following:

- I'm using ltsp 2.07
- These instructions require a custom kernel for the clients. Primarily I
needed hard drive support which is not compiled in for the kernels you get
at ltsp.org (which makes sense because it is supposed to be 'diskless')
- Finally make sure you understand the steps. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

LILO:
 Start with an etherboot lilo image:
        make bin32/<yournic>.lilo (ie 3c590.lilo)

this will create a file that looks like a bootable kernel to lilo but it's
really etherboot.

Ok now you'll have to do some preparations on the server. Now make a
directory on the server call it hdboot. Place it somewhere that your
diskless clients can "see" it. (I'm using ltsp 2.07 so for me
/tftpboot/lts/ltsroot/hdboot). Also in the same directory make a folder
called hdmount (/tftpboot/lts/ltsroot/mntboot).

Now create /tftpboot/lts/ltsroot/dev/hda and
/tftpboot/lts/ltsroot/dev/hda1 devices:

cd /tftpboot/lts/ltsroot/dev
mknod hda c 3 0
mknod hda1 c 3 1

Lets prepare the hdboot directory:
 Create the following directories inside hdboot
boot  dev  etc  tmp

change to the boot directory and copy these files:
boot.b  eepro100.lilo  map

eepro100.lilo is my etherboot lilo image. boot.b & map copy these files
from /boot off your server's root.

in etc copy the file:
lilo.conf
(copy it from /etc/lilo.conf on your server's root).

Now edit /tftpboot/lts/ltsroot/hdboot/etc/lilo.conf. Edit it to look
something like this:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
linear
default=linux

image=/boot/eepro100.lilo
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda1

Ok now you're ready for the diskless client. Change your runlevel to 3
(depending on your ltsp version) so that you boot into the console as root
not X.

Boot your diskless client via floppy then at the command prompt:
fdisk your hard drive & make that partition bootable:
cfdisk /dev/hda (<-- make sure your fdisking your client drive and not
the server!!! MAKE CERTAIN YOU ARE AT THE COMMAND PROMPT OF YOUR CLIENT
AND NOT LOGGED INTO THE SERVER!) If you get an error message saying can't
open device it's because your CLIENT's kernel does not have hard drive
support (recompile/mknbi-linux your own)

make an ext2 filesystem:
mkfs /dev/hda1

mount the newly formatted local drive:
mount /dev/hda1 /mntboot
Recursively copy files from /hdboot to /mntboot
cp -R /hdboot/* /mntboot

change directory to /mntboot/dev and create the hda/hda1 devices
mknod hda c 3 0
mknod hda1 c 3 1

tell lilo where to find root for it's files:

export ROOT=/mntboot

run lilo

bash> lilo

that's it (it's fairly involved but once you do a couple of them it takes
only a few minutes per station). Change your runlevel back to 5 & reboot
without the floppy. You should see the familiar LILO prompt and away you
go.

If you're interested I can explain the loadlin way of doing it too. (It's
a little easier but doesn't always work with all network cards).

Best of luck :)