I am running 2.09pre4 on a server running a stock RH7.1 release. My
terminal hardware is a gigabyte mainboard with intel 815 chipset but
WITHOUT the onboard graphics chip, ati rage 128 agp and realtek8139C
nic.

When I upgraded from 2.08 to 2.09pre4, xwindows would not start. Somehow
the startup scripts were detecting an intel815 WITH onboard agp and
trying to load the module for it and of course there was no hardware to
start, so it failed.

In lts.conf, I altered XSERVER=auto to XSERVER=ati and this resolved the
problem.

I am guessing that your startup script can't tell the difference between
a 815 with or a 815 without the onboard graphics controller.

FYI, the intel docs and part numbers are identical for both versions of
the board.